There are many columns and pieces of data in Ingredients that can be updated using our bulk update feature. This feature works by uploading a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet or CSV file containing the changes you wish to make to your ingredients.
This document will attempt to explain which columns you can update and what the permitted data values are for those columns.
The format of the file must be very specific, we recommend downloading your ingredients into a Microsoft Excel document straight from Recipe Cost Calculator and using that spreadsheet as a starting point for making your bulk changes. That way you can be sure that your spreadsheet is the correct format and you have a smaller chance of making an error.
How to download your Ingredients
From your main Ingredient listing page, click "Download Ingredients" on the left side of the screen.
You will be taken to a page that will let you select which columns you want to download and whether you want to download as Microsoft Excel (recommended) or CSV (works, but you may run into some encoding issues at times, especially with non-English characters). Your spreadsheet does not need to contain all the columns, the bulk update will work even if you only choose a few columns for updating.
Updating your ingredients
The uploaded spreadsheet determines which field in your Ingredient to update based on the column heading. This is the text in the first row of the spreadsheet. For example, under the column heading Supplier, we will update the supplier field for each ingredient in the spreadsheet.
- You may upload either an Excel (XLS/XLSX) or Comma Separated Values (CSV) file
- All columns are optional except for either ingredient name or ID
- Columns may appear in any order
- The first row in the uploaded file must contain the names of the columns you would like to update (see below for column names).
Column Names for Updating
Following is a list of the valid column headings, and any pertinent information about how that particular column is updated.
- Do not change this value. If you change this value, the update will either fail, or it may overwrite other data in your account.
- If you leave this value blank, when updating we will look up the Ingredient in your account based on the value in the Name column, or create a new Ingredient in your account if an ingredient with that Name does not exist.
- If you are using a spreadsheet that you downloaded from your account and it contains the ID column, you may use the bulk update feature to change or update your ingredient Name. If the ID column does not exist in your spreadsheet, you may not change the name of your ingredient because we will use the Name column to look up the ingredient in your account.
- If the ID column does not exist in your spreadsheet or it exists but is blank, and we can not find an ingredient in your account with the value in the Name column we will create a new Ingredient, otherwise we will update the existing ingredient in your account with the same Name.
Case/Pack/Unit or Combined Units
- Depending on the column selections you make, you will need to upload either a single column formatted as (case/pack unit) (e.g. 6/235ml), or as three separate columns of case, pack and unit. We offer a video tutorial that is worth watching to describe this:
- Enter a valid price according to Recipe Cost Calculator, or leave blank.
- Valid examples: 12.50, 10, $18
- The dollar ($) currency symbol is permitted and will be parsed out, other currency symbols are not currently permitted.
- Enter a Supplier name. If the supplier already exists in your account, this ingredient will be linked to the existing supplier. If the supplier does not exist, we will create a new Supplier with the provided name.
- The Order Code that you use to order this ingredient from the specified Supplier
- Enter a category name for this ingredient. If the category already exists in your account, this ingredient will be linked to the existing category. If the category does not exist, we will create a new Category with the provided name.
- Numeric or Blank
- Enter the usable percentage of this ingredient. This will only be factored in to ingredient and recipe costing if your plan level supports the feature.
Is Added Sugar
- Boolean (true or false)
- Enter either TRUE or FALSE (or leave blank).
- Enter any notes you have for the ingredient.
Allergen Columns (multiple)
There are multiple allergen columns for Ingredients and they all behave in the same manner.
Allergen Column Names
- Allergen Eggs
- Allergen Fish
- Allergen Milk
- Allergen Mustard
- Allergen Peanuts
- Allergen Sesame Seeds
- Allergen Shellfish
- Allergen Soy
- Allergen Sulfites
- Allergen Tree Nuts
- Allergen Wheat
Allergen Column Values
- Boolean (true or false)
- Enter either TRUE or FALSE (or leave blank)
Important Notes About Allergens
- If there was no previous allergen declaration on the Ingredient (e.g. if the ingredient did not explicitly state that it contains no major allergens), we will not update the ingredient to say "No" for "Contains Major Allergens" via a bulk update.
- If in your updated file you explicitly set all allergen columns to FALSE, we will update the ingredient to indicate that it contains no major allergens.
The primary reason for this is we do not want to unintentionally update ingredients to state that they contain no major allergens without the account owner doing a thorough review to ensure that is the case. If at any point the ingredient did list allergens or allergens have changed, or every allergen is explicitly set to FALSE, we will update this flag appropriately. In case of any doubt, please review your ingredients carefully on the Recipe Cost Calculator site regarding their allergen declarations to ensure accuracy.
If you have any questions or concerns please let us know!